Sunday, August 28, 2011

Taking Them for Granted...

I was thinking this week about how fast you can lose someone you love.  Life changes so rapidly.  What you have today could be gone tomorrow.  God gives us no guarantees that we will have the people we love for as long as we want them. 

I find myself taking my family and friends for granted.  "Take for granted".  What does that even mean?  I am just thinking this out...  When I hear the word "granted", I think of a wish.  As in, "your wish has been granted!"  As in, you have what you always wanted.  So if you have what you wanted, and you take them "for granted", it seems it means that you assume they are yours.  Your possessions.  A part of your life that you get to keep.

I can find no such guarantee or promise.  Kim is not mine, neither is Jacob.  I can't own anyone, not really even my dogs!  They are here on loan to me, as I am on loan to them.  Who will go first?  Who will be left behind, the last person standing?  As a parent, I pray that is Jacob, and that God will "loan" lots of other precious people to him.  So that when someone gets called home, he will have others with him to comfort him.

My thoughts wander back to "the last person standing".  That thought takes me right to my Grams.  She is 90 years old now.  Her husband died over 20 years ago.  Her friends have all passed away.  Lee and Rudy, Vick and Thelma, Pete and Marge.  Lots of others.  All gone before her.  Now she is alone with her children, four of them.  Her grandchildren, 10, I think.  Her Great-grandchildren, I know of 17.  And even two Great-great-grandchildren, maybe more.  And yet she feels so alone.  She is wealthy beyond reason, if her offspring are her treasure.  She has a very rich legacy.  I wish she could see that, and feel blessed.

So back to the "taking for granted" thought.  I want to remember how blessed I am to have such wonderful people in my life.  My family, my friends, even my silly dogs!  I have a rich legacy, too!  I am thankful for all that God has loaned me.  I don't know how long I get to have you on loan, but whoever you are, I am thankful for your part in my life.  Thank you for helping me build a legacy.  If I check out before you do, just be happy that we got a chance to be family, or friends.  We are blessed.               

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I am very blessed! Nice post little Sister. Love You!

Anonymous said...

Love you, Lisa! I sure do miss hanging out with you!

Amy