Monday, April 20, 2009

Rewind

OK, so I posted about my fabulous family Route 66 trip. It was totally awesome. I didn't even tell you half of the fun we had or show you all the cool pictures. But that will save for another day. I need to rewind to Friday.


Friday is my favorite day of the week. Even though I normally have to work till 5:30, to me it is the beginning of the weekend. So I try to do something fun every Friday night! Kim went to work early, so Jacob and I started on our Friday adventure. I had been wanting to go to a fun yarn shop I had heard about in Utica Square. I had heard of it, but was not really sure where it was. We had to pick my cousins little boy, Seth up first since we were meeting his Grandma for dinner later.


We headed to 21st & Utica. The shop closed at 8, and by the time we got close to the Square it was 7:30. So we started circling the Square looking for the address. We finally figured it out and there it was, Loops. So far I have only shopped for yarn at stores like Wal-Mart, Michaels, Hobby-Lobby and JoAnns. I am not saying anything bad about those stores, they are great for simple projects, but this place had so many beautiful colors and types of yarn. It was amazing. I am really easy to impress where yarn is concerned, though, so this might not be a big deal for a real knitter. They have comfy seats so you can bring your knitting and sit there and knit and visit with other knitters.


I was mostly interested in the yarn that I could use for felting. For my first and only {to date} felting project, I had a very small selection of wool yarn, from the previously mentioned stores. They just did not have much in the way of color. I wanted bright vibrant color for my project. Jewel tones or at least deep color. Well, Loops has that covered, and then some! They had such beautiful colors of wool! I did not buy any yarn Friday, but I did get some fun ideas for future projects. I will head back that way to bring some of that beautiful stuff home, as soon as my budget will allow! Why, oh why, am I cursed with yarn budget restrictions? That is so wrong!

After dinner we went to my Grandma's house where my Aunt and Grams let me sort through some of their old buttons so I could bring some home. I want to start using buttons on some of my felting projects, and I just don't have any. Grams had several big tubs. Most were very ordinary, but I found some fun ones. I am not the button expert that my friend Amy is, or even as knowledgable as Gigi, but I can appreciate fun as well as any one! Buttons are FUN!

2 comments:

amy said...

Loops sounds like a fun place! Just the name of the store makes me smile! We'll have to go knit in their comfy chairs sometime!

Geeg is the button expert...I'm am just a button fan! I love the colors, shapes and designs. You're absolutely right, buttons are just plain fun! I literally started drooling when I saw that tub of buttons!

GiGi said...

i wanna go and see loops. it sounds yummy!! i'm with ames, the name makes me smile too. love the tub o' buttons too. what a fun friday indeed. :)