Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rt 66...Family Style!



Today we had a family day. We decided to take a trip North East on old Route 66. I have driven part of this before, so the scenery was familiar, but this is the first time that the trip was just for the pleasure of the trip!
We started with breakfast/lunch at Tally's. I checked the bathroom for my prior grafetti efforts, and it was there. I tried to take a picture, but it did not turn out. You will have to go look at it yourself, if you want to see it.






We made our first stop at a flea market in Chelsea. It was not so great. We looked around and I took this cool picture of Jacob. What a great kid to let us drag him along through all the flea markets. I think he likes it too, but he won't admit it!






Next we stopped to check out what appeared to be a tunnel that ran under Route 66. It was a tunnel. We did not go through it, but Jacob and Kim went down the stairs. It looked kind of spooky to me. Very damp and creepy! On the way out, Kim said, "Wouldn't it be cool if I found a arrowhead?" He bent down and picked something up and Jacob asked what is was. Kim laughed and said, "Uh, I think it's an arrowhead." As it turned out, it was not an arrowhead. It was shaped like one, but it was just a piece of cement. We all laughed about that!



So we loaded back into the Taurus and headed east. We barely got our seat belts buckled when we saw the sign for another stop. Antiques! Of course we went in. It was so cool. I took tons of pix. We did not buy anything, but I could have spent a lot of money there! I took tons of pictures. The best part was that there was another store right next door. So we got to go in two shops. They were both quite large and we really spent a lot of time browsing through. We got back in the car and headed towards Vinita. As we were leaving town, there was another shop!! This time we were past it before we really saw it, so we decided not to go back.



Vinita had three antique stores, all quite large. One was more of a furniture type place. We got to talking to the man who owned it and as it turns out he is a preacher for the church of Christ in Afton. We talked more, and we discovered that he used to be a house parent a the children's home I lived at when I was a girl. After he said his name, I remembered him. His last name is Bunch. I have a vague memory of that family. I bet my siblings remember them better. I was really young during the time he was there.






At his store there was an awesome street sign in the window. It had two intersecting streets. As you can see, it is the streets Bret and Neal. I thought that was awesome, because my SMOR friend Gigi's husband is Brett, and her maiden name is.... NEAL!!! How cool?? I think he said it was $60, Geeg. Right in Vinita, next to the movie theatre.



The next stop was another shop down the street. At that point it started pouring rain. It rained so hard it flooded the store we were in. We stayed for a while looking at all the cool stuff. They had a ton of 'ladies head vases', but none were as nice as mine. :o)






After we left there, we had to wade to the car. It had stopped raining and hailing, but the water was ankle deep at the curbs. Kim had to climb across the hood of the car to avoid gettin his shoes wet! We headed to Afton, which has nothing in it, but it was a nice drive anyway. The old Buffalo Ranch was closed. So we headed back to Tulsa. What a great day!

5 comments:

amy said...

Oooohhh, I am so jealous! It sounds like you had a wonderful day! It's nice that your boys like to go treasure hunting with you!

What a small world running into Mr. Bunch after all these years!

Abbey Elizabeth said...

that sounds like it was a very very fun day.. i think that jacob secretly enjoys your fun antiquing trips too..

ok, the ladies head vases are sooo cute! even if they aren't as cool as yours is...

Laurel said...

Sorry you missed my museum in the old gas station on Route 66 in Afton, but I think I closed up a little early yesterday because of the impending rainstorm. You're right about there being "nothing" in Afton... well, almost right. My antique car and Route 66 museum has been there since about 2002, but that's all that's left in town. Next time, please come for a visit. Would love to meet you.

www.aftonstation66.com

Laurel Kane
Afton, OK

GiGi said...

oh my goodness!!! how fun are the street signs! that is so funny that those 2 names are together. too cool. too cool. love love love the lady head vases. do you remember prices by chance???? what a fun day!

Debbie said...

Sounds like you had a fun day. I don't know if I could ever get Bruce to stop and look at those kind of stores.....
Good grief I can't believe that you ran into Mr. Bunch. They were my first house parents. Ask me about them sometime.....
I think I will leave it at that.